Thursday 21 June 2012

Well they got through, can’t say I’m over the moon about it but whatever

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/61015000/jpg/_61015311_englandstill.jpg

Hmm, okay you wanted reasons why I do not like the England team? The reason why I was disappointed when Sweden lost to England? The reason why I’m disappointed England got out of that group stage?

I suppose one might call me a Anybody But England person but I like certain players and certain teams style of football and England are not one of them. They play an incredibly dull style (though given time I will actually appreciate an organised and compact system). I also cannot stand their arrogance and their misguided superiority when the truth is that they are just not that good.

The other reason is that whenever England is the topic of the discussion, it tends to bring out the ugly racist side of people and I can't help but feel like I don't want to be a part of that culture, a country which they are inherently racist. To support them unconditionally would be like to support racism and that goes against every fibre of my principles. It just how I roll, I don't do things unconditionally anymore, everything I love, everything I do, everything I say is all because I want to and not because I have to.

So no I will not support England out some misplaced patriotism or whatever, I will support them when they play good football (bearing in mind good football for me doesn’t necessarily mean fancy flicks and fancy tricks) and if people aren’t cool with that then I’m not sorry and I really don’t care.

No comments:

Post a Comment