Monday 8 August 2011

Braaaains, braaains

Resident Evil...what have they done to you, you used to be all about fighting ACTUAL zombies and more about survival than about action and upper-cutting boulders and the likes.

My beloved franch- well, to tell the truth I wasn't really that into the series anyway haha, I only ever played Resident Evil 2, the one with Leon S Kennedy and Claire Redfield and that is one of my most cherished games...yes nostalgia does play a part in it but there are plenty of other games I know weren't good but I still like them anyway.

Anyway, so the first game I didn't play but I know somewhat about the storyline along with the third game. Now when it comes to spinoffs and any games that are not part of main entries of a story, I'm hesitant to play them. The reason for that is that when it comes to a story, anything that relates to the plot and is somewhat essential should be in the main entries anyway.

The last thing I want to do is to play a completely separate game to understand something that's vital to the plot. Everything not mentioned in the plot should preferably just be background information and nothing more.
That being said I haven't actually played any of the Resident Evil spinoffs or other games so yeah...wait where was I going with this? Ahh forget it.

So Resident Evil 4 I am a huuuuuuuge fan of because it was different and exciting and it was actually good especially the dialogue ("What 'r you buying strangah", "Your right hand comes off?" and "You're small time!" all brilliance), it was also fun to play for a second time with the better weapons and additions such as the Chicago Typewriter and the infinite rocket launcher (blowing up a villager's head with a rocket launcher has never been so satisfying).

So while Resident Evil 4 was applauded and praised, surely you can't mess up with Resident Evil 5 right? WRONG!

Eurgh how do I start with this. While Resident Evil 5 is by no means a bad game, it's just not that good enough. It's far too similar to RE4 and that it offers very little. I don't mind to use the criticism that it's similar against it but it really just feels like it's Resident Evil 4 IN AFRICA (or Haiti to be more precise, I've always hated it when people say Africa as a catch all term for things set in that continent) and that wait...haven't I played this before?

Yes the co-op was a nice feature but too many times have I been let down by incompetent team-mates who failure to understand that trying the same thing over and over will not bring about results and means we have to redo it again and again and it's frustrating ergh. This feature doesn't make up for the boredom in this game really (AND OH MY GOD WHY CAN'T YOU GUYS JUST CRAWL UNDER THE LASERS, WHY DO I HAVE TO GO AROUND IT) and its blandness and it just wasn't very good.

So with the speculation of Resident Evil 6 along with a leaked shot of the announcement date, I've not checked if it was faked or not, I am wary in what direction this new game will take and how it pans out. Hopefully it'll be another masterpiece as even number entries usually are for me but I guess along with many other things in life, I'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment