Sunday 28 November 2010

So no-one told you life was gonna be this waaaaay…

I have to wonder whether it’s nostalgia or something but there are sometimes when you think “Oh the old ones were the best” or something similar along those lines and just the other day I thought that about Friends. Not friends as in chums, mates or buddies but Friends the TV show that’s constantly being played on E4 at every opportunity it gets. Personally I tend to eschew watching Friends if there’s anything else on, in fact I try to avoid watching it if it’s on television full stop, simply for the reasoning that I have probably seen all the episodes already if not at least twice. If I have missed any episodes then my guess would be that it’d be one of the later series but to me it’s not quite the same.

Watching it, I can’t help but notice the charm it has in comparison to the newer series, I thought lines were actually funny and better constructed. The characters were more interesting and it didn’t feel like a blatant comedy show. I don’t know how to describe that last point other than to say that there are times when shows are just simply played for laughs and have no point or purpose to it other than to get “hahahahaha”.

This isn’t exclusive to Friends but it applies to other TV shows and even other forms of media, I do understand why people lament today’s media, criticising everything from tired storylines, lack of originality, dumbed down or whatever have you but you also have to ask maybe it’s because you’re growing up and your perspective of the world changes and so does how you see things like music or films hence why we may believe that a certain time was better than another. Maybe we are just becoming more grumpier in life or maybe we are actually looking deeper than we used to into things. Whatever the reason for it is……

…damn, I had a good closing sentence but it’s just evaporated from my head as quick as it entered.  Plus I was in the zone too. Never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment