Wednesday 10 March 2010

Someone stole my spaggle

So a while ago I had an argument with Foxx and to be honest I was portrayed as the bad guy in things when all I did was make the crime of just simply not caring about an issue I have no interest in whatsoever.

I am extremely apathetic and indifferent to almost everything in life and to most situations. I believe that my stance on things isn’t one that really should annoy people but what do you know, it bothers people quite a lot and it’s really tiring being attacked for not leaning on one side or another, or even being on the fence at all. I’m just in the house watching the others choose their side of the fence. The debate (which could be called an argument) was about animal rights and fur. Now it mystifies me when it comes to people having extreme views on things and then creating two sides. An ‘us’ or ‘them’ situation. You are either supporting the cause or against the cause and therefore you are an enemy…No, no and a thousand times no. Life isn’t so black and white like that, I personally just don’t care about it and the topic really doesn’t interest me at all, does it make me a bad person? Not at all.

So why am I so indifferent to things and devoid of a “moral compass” of sorts?

Well the answer I believe is because I don’t believe things like morals exist. Now before I get the familiar cries of “of course they exist” and whatever, I have to say this do they really?

What are morals anyway? Well they are motivation based on the ideas or right and wrong but personally I believe that the term “good”, “bad”, “right” and “wrong” are all interchangeable and depending on the culture, person and situation they can easily be adapted and changed to suit whatever needs to be there at the time. Therefore the idea of morals is all subjective so there isn’t really a clear guide to what is “right” and “wrong”.

People will shout vociferously (heh, I just wanted to use that word) about how things are morally wrong and we should do things that are right. For example some will tell you how murder is always wrong but this is not always the case. Euthanasia could be described as murder, a person so ill and in pain being kept alive against their will, surely it’s “morally wrong” to keep them alive and continue to let them suffer. Surely the right thing to do is to kill them so they don’t have to suffer anymore?

Well to be honest, yes and no, this is just one example of how “right” and “wrong” can be twisted and shaped to fit the situation. Another example is a person who steals bread to feed their dying, sick and starving family. See how it all can be twisted, this is why nothing can be inherently right or wrong, good or bad. We all have our own personal belief and value system so things will be “right” and “wrong” in your world and those things might differ in another person’s world. This doesn’t make you right or wrong nor does it make them right or wrong and it sure as hell doesn’t make me right or wrong when I say that I don’t believe in morals and the likes.

There is a isolated village with a population of 100 people when a traveller comes to visit and sees a sign saying ‘THE VILLAGE OF UNAMADACOW- HOME OF THE WORLD FAMOUS SPAGGLE’. Naturally the traveller wonders “What on earth is a ‘spaggle’?” So he asks a resident of the village what a spaggle is to which the villager replies “It’s a big giant flying creature with no feathers or wings” and then walks off.

Confused, the traveller turns to ask another resident what a spaggle is and the resident replies “You don’t know what a spaggle is? Why, it is simply one of those” and points to what the traveller recognises as a house on the hill.

The traveller confused more than ever asks a third person what the ‘spaggle’ is and gets the response “It’s that feeling you get after you’ve eaten a big tub of ice-cream”

Thinking that this was of no help either, the traveller then proceeds to ask every person in the village what exactly is this ‘spaggle’ but everyone he asks gives unique and different answers to what it is. One person said that it was soil that lurks underground, another said that it was an item that lies in the blood of the villagers while another said that it was simply a type of cake. But no two people ever had the same definition of what a spaggle was.

So he begins to question whether this ‘spaggle’ actually exists or not when a second traveller comes to the village and asks the first traveller “what is a spaggle?”

The first traveller thinks for a while and then tells her “A spaggle you say? It is whatever you want it to be”

This for me is what I think morals are like, so subjective and given different meanings by different people that giving an objective definition of things like the concept of “right” “wrong” is impossible. It doesn’t exist. We give meaning to it and a lot of other things but giving meaning to something does not mean that something suddenly exists.

Anyway I’m done for now so I will leave it as that and probably come back to it later when I feel like it. In the meantime I’m going to eat my spaggle and then finish off reading my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment