Tuesday 2 March 2010

Personally I’d call my snail ‘Speedy Gonzalez’


So I finally finished Making Money after more than a month reading it. No I’m not a slow reader but so much has gone on that I didn’t really get much time to sit down and to read it. It is certainly a book that I will have for my future library so I can own a copy of it for myself. I found the book to be quite funny and amusing filled with subtle humour (my favourite kind) and I look forward to reading it again in the future. Now I just have 3 more books to read that I borrowed from the library and are due next week but I think I’ll be renewing the loan on them, I really don’t want to be spending a month on these again but yeah that’s what happens when you live a life like mine.


The Art of Procrastination wouldn’t be complete without Formspring, a site where you can ask people questions and be asked in return. Now I’ve heard people say “well, what’s the point in that”. Well sometimes the most simplest concepts can turn out to be the most fun you’ve had in a while. Plus when you think like that automatically dismissing it as pointless then you aren’t using your imagination and are merely just breaking it down to its basics, I could say “pictures that talk? Well, what the point in that”, “a site where people can upload home made videos? Well that’s kinda dumb” or “A game where 22 men shepherd a leather ball into some nets, that’s ridiculously stupid” but as that’s just a very simple explanation of the phenomenon it’s become. For me Formspring isn’t just about people asking questions, I like it because of the sort of questions people ask and the responses that are given. I like to think of it a bit like having a Q+A session with a celebrity or an influential person so if you were given the chance to ask, I don’t know, Barack Obama or Johnny Depp any question you like, wouldn’t you be interested in what response they give? So what questions would you ask them?

“So Mr Obama, what’s your favourite colour?”

“To Mr Depp, favourite movie ever?”

“Ms GaGa, what is your favourite pet?”

Personally I find them to be very “safe” questions, questions that they’ll probably answer but to be honest, I really am not interested in that answer, I’d rather find out what superpowers they would have if they had the chance, if they had a snail that could magically grant wishes, what would they name the snail and what planet would they live on if they couldn’t live on Earth anymore. Weird questions I know but the truth is I’m not looking for their answers but more the way they give it and stuff. It all depends on the person but some might give one word answers and be done with it, others might give detailed explanation as to why they’d pick the choice they did, while some will actually try and give amusing and random answers to certain questions and/or try and shove a reference to something in there. Take the ‘What’s the meaning of life?’ question, I’ve seen it so many times and I seen certain answers to it like;

“I don’t know”

“I think it’s doing whatever makes you happy and being all that you can be in life. Treating others how you want to be treated, not being judgemental and overly critical of others and staying true to yourself”

“42”

Personally I like to see people give answers like the last two on that list because I find it thoughtful and amusing. Not just that but the questions people come up with are why I use the site, I find the random questions, deep questions and the dilemma questions the most fun to answer and I like getting them because then I can think about it for a while and me I like thinking about stuff. A rule I have is that I don’t answer a question unless I’m sure about the answer, so if someone asks a question and it’s still in my inbox after a long time (when I’m online, not asleep and all that), then it means I’m reeeeeaally thinking about my answer. The latest question I got that caused me to think was “If I could watch three movies for the rest of my life what would they be?” by Ashley Mills

So yes, you might ask celebrities questions and the same thing applies to random people, I find it a good way to meet other people. I personally find people who will give thoughtful and amusing answers but can give serious answers when need be more fun than those who quickly reply with simple “Yes” “No” “I don’t know” answers. I don’t have a problem with them as if they want to give that answer then fine, who am I to tell people what response they should give to questions.

I personally welcome any sort of question, no matter how “personal” they are, because I’ll always try and answer it as honestly as I can. I’m not bothered about how people judge me because as long as I’m happy and comfortable with myself then to be honest what you think about me becomes irrelevant as we are always trying to change just to please other people that we’ve forgotten the one person that really matters and that’s your own self.

Anyhoo this is not the only reason I took a month to read a book but I’ll save this for another blog post, I hope I don’t leave it too long for it.

P.S. Ask me questions on Formspring

1 comment:

  1. He has the equivalent of a Ph.D in Chinese Medicine, but has devoted the past 15 years of his life to testing and retesting this effect on unsuspecting patients; in fact, some of them were even told they were taking a placebo and noted positive results. He is the only faculty member of Harvard Medical School without a Doctorate in Western Medicine, and his studies are causing a storm - mainly because they seem to discredit traditional medicine at every turn.
    gta 5 apk

    ReplyDelete