Friday 12 March 2010

Geniuses are often misunderstood in their own lifetimes

Ok, so I’m watching the first episode of Yu Yu Hakusho because I was sent it from Lovefilm and I haven’t watched it for about a month or so (along with volume 2 of Yu-gi-oh) when from watching the first episode a thought occurs.

What would you do if you were a ghost and were free to walk the earth?

Now many people usually think short term when it comes to hypothetical situations such as the one posed above, as for me in the case of the question above…………………I’m no different. For now I’m going to forget trivial details such as how long am I walking the earth for and what we things feel like and can I have an effect on the world of the living and focus on short term things.

In the first episode Yusuke gets run over in the process of saving a small child (isn’t it always a small child) and dies. He later becomes a ghost and goes to his own wake and despite being a bit of a little shit when he was alive he is quite surprised to see people’s reaction to his death. This was the part that got me wondering.

Now to be frank, I really couldn’t care what people think of me when I die because…well, I’m dead. It’s not like I’m conscious or aware enough to listen and take in people’s opinion of me but what if was? What if I was a ghost that could observe and listen to what my friends and everyone else thought of yours truly. Would I get the recognition and praise that to be honest, I think I would like some more of while I’m still alive.

If I had the power to end the planet and by that I mean plunge everything into nothingness, no existence, no awareness, just nothing….I probably be thinking more about why I shouldn’t do it rather than why I should. Anyway this is what I am kind of like at the moment. I do not crave attention, far from it how it is frustrating to see people not notice or are not appreciative of my genius and abilities…now stop, what you are thinking is that this comes off as being incredibly arrogant. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t, but there is nothing more frustrating than thinking that you have done something that is really cool or funny or good only to have no one around to witness it. I’m reminded of a sequence in Scrubs where JD makes a joke and there is no-one around to hear it so he carries Turk all the way across the hospital to so he’ll have an audience to hear the joke he made with Turk..

Or maybe there are people around who witness it, maybe there are people around that see you score that brilliant goal, make that brilliant joke or maybe there were people who saw the the piece of awesomeness feat you just performed. So you wait and you wait for someone to recognise your ability or whatever and you wait…and you wait…and wait and nobody says anything. You want to bring it up because well…duh…it was awesome and you need some to recognise that but you don’t want to bring it up because you feel you shouldn’t need to do so and that bringing it now will only incite responses that aren’t always sincere but merely a reaction.

This is why I’d probably work out better as a villain rather than a superhero because sometimes I would like some sort of credit or acknowledgement for the scheming and plotting and when it all leads to whatever I was planning…though it might start me monologuing and we all know that’s the weakness of any villain and is how the majority of the superheroes get away…though it is subverted at times. I never understood why they never just killed them and got it over with but I suppose what good is going to all that trouble with the planning if possibly the only person in the world that could appreciate it is dead.

But what is also annoying is when you do talk about whatever it is that you want recognition for and they gloss over it. That’s it, they just gloss over it. In my head I think FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU- But then again maybe they are just the wrong people to fully appreciate what you just did.

Wait, wait, wait. I just got sidetracked kinda, yeah if you could hear what others would say about you prior to your death and following it, what do you think they’d say. Personally I’d like someone to really understand how much of an impact I had on things, maybe you can call it delusions of grandeur but to be honest I feel like a bit of an unsung hero at times.

Because I don’t get that praise I just don’t  perform to the best of my ability at things because what good is doing such a thing when nobody will recognise your efforts. “AAH” I hear you say, “but then you shouldn’t do it for anyone else but yourself” but (an INTP trait) I know that I can do it, once I’ve understood how things can be done or that I can realistically do the task and get to such and such level then to be honest there’s no point in doing so because I know I can do it…if that makes sense. Better time would be spent understanding something else and all that, so I don’t need to prove to myself that I can do it when I already have.

I suppose I could finish off by saying a quote or a final thought for you to ponder on but I’ve never really been good at this sort of stuff. I’ve never really liked the idea of things coming to an end (yet I’ve accepted the idea of death already) so I’m going to just say that it’s not a goodbye but more like see you later…especially when I’m haunting you all as a ghost. Mwahahahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment