Saturday 12 June 2010

Eclectic taste? You better recognise II

Music is serious business. Considering that it’s just various sounds all put together sometimes accompanied with vocals which we recognise as speech.

What’s brought on this rant? Just reading someone’s reasoning on why rap is crap.
Now, I am not ranting because I feel the need to defend hip-hop/rap music but rather the idiocy of what they said would have prompted this whether they had said country music, pop, trance or rock music was crap, it’s just that rap seems to get most of the shit for this sort of stuff.

Now I don’t like hip-hop/rap as a whole (but then again I don’t like music very much), heck, I’m not even sure how it can be defined as a whole as it is far to diverse to simply generalise like that and I just prefer to just listen to the song rather than what artist it is or what genre it is and there are quite a lot of times if not nearly every time I cannot really relate to the song because the messages certain artists are giving out or rather, how I’m perceiving the message isn’t one that I can connect to in any way. As the attackers would put it, “Rap is only about guns, drugs, being misogynistic and how big their penis is”. A sense of macho-ness where the belief is bigger is better. But that’s stupid, not ever song is like that and quite frankly why does it bother them so much? There are some who relate to this sort of music, no, any sort of music, someone out there will relate to it. Whether it’s the lyrics, the artist, the emotions it provokes or whatever, someone is going to feel a connection with it.

Besides music is just music, there is no rule or strict definition to what music is, music can be found anywhere and people will like some form of music and people will dislike other forms.

One of my pet peeves is when I hear people say such stuff like rap is whack, pop is mindless droning, rock is just noise or what I hear constantly “Their old stuff was better and all the new stuff sucks”. It bores me when I see debates based on things that are completely subjective and down to an individual’s taste in music, you don’t like it! I get it! But that doesn’t mean that the music is rubbish, we are all different and our experiences and thoughts and many other factors such as our way of thinking play a part in what sort of music we like, I don’t think that it’s ingrained in us from birth what sort of music we like, that idea to me is preposterous and I think in a way if you criticise a genre of music or an artist or whatever then at the same time you criticise a way of life, someone’s way of thinking which to me is slightly ignorant.

This is not to say that we should like every single music or anything like that as people will not like every piece of music played, there even some songs I just do not like but what I think people need to be more mindful of is that really, it boils down to personal preference. There’s a difference between you yourself not liking a song/artist/genre simply because you just don’t like it and not liking a song/artist/genre and believing that anybody who likes it ought to be shot (as some would say) and genuinely believing that it is ‘bad’ music.

Ah well, such is the way of the human race.

No comments:

Post a Comment