Wednesday 18 July 2012

So why see the world when you got the beach

Like I said, Frank Ocean literally shits on other R&B artists, I can't believe that at one point I actually preferred The Weeknd to Frank at one point but I suppose that was understandable due to the fact that The Weeknd had just come out with House Of Balloons and Thursday which my goodness I got lost into them. However with Echoes of Silence things started changing.

I found that while Echoes of Silences was good it just didn't grip me as much as the previous two mixtapes. There were certainly more high points on there in comparison to the third mixtape which was a tiny bit disappointing. Then came the features on blockbuster albums, The Weeknd on Drake's Take Care and Frank Ocean on Watch The Throne.

For me Frank Ocean's feature stood out a lot more to me than The Weeknd's and I slightly started to go off on The Weeknd just a bit.

Anyway, so Frank Ocean's debut album channel ORANGE came out and I just had to listen to it and good grief what I heard was something that......something amazing.

It opens with Thinking About You which I had already heard but not this version. There was background vocals and an additional verse now thrown in and I already knew how good this song was. Anyway this album had plenty that I had not heard before and plenty that would become my new favourite song for one reason or another. Whether it was the single Sweet Life or the Earl Sweatshirt feature Super Rich Kids, most of the songs I can safely say that I enjoyed it and will be continuing to listening to for a long while.

Of course the surprise on this album is that he has a couple of songs which goes against the grain of many R&B artists and I for one am actually really glad he did this and even more glad that the songs are actually really good. Bad Religion for me is probably one of the best songs if not the best song on the album.

Anyway I was one of those that was getting annoyed at how there wasn’t really any brilliant albums released this year however I maybe have to rethink that especially with the recent albums that have just been put out including this one. One thing is for certain though, a fair few songs from this will be making it to my end of year lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment