Tuesday 8 May 2012

Commercial success or critical acclaim?

Music artists aspire to have both commercial success as well as critical acclaim, some may manage this while others don't. The same sort of desire exists in other fields as well, films, books, video games amongst other things.

But what does that mean to me?

Well, I thought about this after the last CADFC football game of the season and I've been thinking about it for recent weeks but I guess the question really on my mind is "what do I have to do to get man of the match for these people?"

Every time I think I've done well I get a kick back down when I'm not even considered for awards or anything. How every time I think I've busted my gut and all someone tells me that it wasn't enough...

Heh, I'm actually starting to believe that I'm limited in my ability now, but that can't be true because I know for a fact that I've gotten better and I've been told that by people who matter

I mentioned something along these lines to Aaron who said that people like us will never get "man of the match" or any of those sort of awards which he's right, essentially it is pretty much a popularity contest. I did say that that will not stop me trying...maybe it is an exercise in futility but I'd rather get an award like that due to the fact I deserve it and not because I know the right people. So I strive to put in the best performance I can so that they have no choice but to recognise me as the best because failure to do so will cause a revolt...ahh I can dream.

But it's like if I was running for an elected position, I'd rather win it because I was the best person for the job not because of my campaign or whatnot. Unfortunately that's not how the world works anymore...heck I don't even remember a time when it was ever like that but that's something I'll have to change when I'm elected ruler of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment