Sunday 15 April 2012

The Fullmetal Turtle

Fullmetal Alchemist, something I've been missing out on for quite some time but recently I've managed to read the whole manga series and watch half of the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood anime and I actually love it. This will go down as one of my favourite manga of all time (but seeing as I haven't really read all that much really I don't know if that's saying much).

Just the whole storyline had me hooked from start to finish, okay there were some parts that I just wanted to get through quicker but they even had their moments of awesome.

As for the characters, the one thing that I noticed was that no two characters were actually similar and that everyone had their own distinct personality and it made everyone......except maybe Sloth interesting (then again the screen time certain characters get does make a difference). But I realised that I could actually sort of relate to Edward Elric and I see similarities between us despite the fact that very rarely the main character of a story is someone I like and quite often I get annoyed with them a lot.

With Edward he has an automail arm and while it has its uses and that can be seen in several instances where if he had a real arm he would have been in real danger so really just making do with what he has and utilising it the best he can. That's how I feel about my hearing aids sometimes, the ability to switch off sound is one that is a pleasant gift at times. It's not like sight where you can "switch" that off with a simple muscle action of moving your eyelids. My hearing aids allow me to switch off sound at a whim but the downside of this and the downside of Edward's automail arm and leg is that we are completely at the mercy of it and me at least, I feel completely vulnerable if something happens to it and I'm exposed to the world of silence involuntary then it frustrates me because I know it was never my choice to be there in the first place.

It's why I can empathise with him and the loss of his arm and leg.

Anyway I'm pretty much just watching the anime and I'm loving every moment of it and I cannot wait to finish it...well, when it's over it's going to be sad that there's no more but ah well.

No comments:

Post a Comment