Thursday 22 April 2010

You should know that already…


SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!!……Oh, wrong book, but that sort of has something to do with what I’m about to say. Not that I care about it but some people do so…yeah spoilers for this book approaching.

This book is basically about Cynthia and one night as a fourteen year old finds her family go missing (sucks to be her) with no explanation. 25 years later she does this crime show or something which hopes to get answers on what happened that night, later on she receives a letter which makes no sense and soon she starts to realise that stirring up the past could be the worst mistake she has ever made. Dun dun DUUUUUUUUUUUNNNN

***SPOILERSROSEBUDWASTHENAMEOFHISSLEDSPOILERS***

Ok I don’t know what I really was expecting but the ending was a bit anticlimactic for me. Maybe I was expecting them to unravel a complex plot and secrecy that stretches back to the middle ages, instead I got some woman who seems to be just batshit insane after her husband inheritance because if he dies then everything goes to any members of his other ‘secret family’.

Anyway it’s not that I didn’t like the book but I could see some things a mile off. A head teacher that’s retiring very soon and is a close friend of the family? He’s obviously got something to do with what happened.

The PE teacher who talked to Terry, I haven’t the foggiest what her relevance to the story was and I don’t know. I thought the book was alright but it isn’t one that will have a very high place in my bookshelf when I have my own personal library

***SPOILERSENDNORMANBATESANDHISMOTHERARETHESAMEPERSONSPOILERSEND***

I’ve been reading a fair few books in the past weeks or so, not that it surprises me or anything but now I’m buying them or wanting to buy them which is something I haven’t read done before. The last book I or rather my mother bought while we were on speaking terms was Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (I simply borrowed the final chapter off a friend), but now I’m looking up different books to buy and all that jazz. I find it quite hard to know which book would convince me to part with my money with because while a lot of books sound extremely interesting to me and fill me with excitement because I want to read it, there’s always the danger that it could turn out to be an extremely poor and boring book and not worth me throwing money away so I usually tend to stick to the safe options when it comes to spending large sums of money of books.

I think I would have been rather annoyed if I had spent money on books such as ‘The Nostradamus Prophecies’ and ‘The Secret Of Excalibur’ because I did not find them to be terribly interesting books for me. Sure they may have sounded interesting when I read what it was about but once I got to read the actual books I found it to be quite boring and dull, ah well. I guess I just love ancient history that much that I’ll pick up any book that is vaguely about it.


How could I resist a book that is about Arthurian legends was what was going through my mind when I picked this up in the ‘New Books’ section of my library and oh boy what I read wasn’t that good. When it comes to a book, a film, a game or whatever I think one of the most important things to me is the storyline as if I can find the storyline interesting then I can overlook things such as little mistakes, acting, writing styles, all those other things that make up a particular work. This is probably part of the reason why I don’t find ‘The Godfather’ good at all.

Anyway I read this book and I found it quite ridiculous and well…meh, it did nothing for me, just a lot of action scenes and set pieces which reminded me a lot of an action movie that uses far too many scenes like this to dazzle and excite but end up being ludicrously over the top with some of the scenes. I guess I just didn’t like it all that much and wasn’t a book I’d read again willingly, what’s really annoying is that the other books in this series are also about legends and things like that and I keep wanting to read them but based on this experience I had with this book…I’m not so sure it’ll be a good idea.

This one book was about the mysterious prophecies made by Nostradamus regarding a third antichrist. I was intrigued by the blurb and instantly I picked it up and read it but I was disappointed again with the storyline of it and was not impressed at all by it. This is the sort of book I’d pick up and read based on the blurb alone but it is because of books such as these that I’m really reluctant to buy books as I really don’t like the feeling of disappointment and being underwhelmed by a book after I finish reading them and the 3 books I mentioned I had that exact feeling. Ok, I didn’t feel as disappointed with No Time For Goodbye as I was with the other two especially as I was engrossed in the story and really did want to find out what happened next and found it exciting except the ending let me down a bit but it is not a book that I really want to buy for my personal library and even if I did get it like I said it wouldn’t have a very high place in it.

Anyway I think I’ll stop here and get on with reading some more of my other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment