Monday 11 January 2010

How to start a book


So I finished Carpe Jugulum recently and this being my first Terry Pratchett’s Discworld book, this would decide whether getting into the books would be worth it because the last experience I had with the Discworld series was a long time ago in a point and click adventure on the PS1 and even then that was only a demo. But I found it an amusing story (even if there wasn’t much to play) but sadly I didn’t get into the books until later. I picked up this because as frequenter of the TV Tropes website Discworld is oft mentioned in different examples in my browsing of the site and me being the sort of person always on the lookout for new material decided to give this a go and see what I would make of it.

I enjoyed it very much (even if it seemed a little weird but in a delightful way) so I decided to look up the other books and to read the books properly (as I only just picked up this book randomly) and in order, only to discover that there is no sort of order and that it really doesn’t matter what book you read because any book in the series can be read and you won’t need to have read another book to get through it. Originally I found it daunting but after a bit of research about the arcs and the supposed reading order of Discworld I have to say I feel much more comfortable about the whole reading out of order business so I hope to get started soon, just need to finish the other books I’ve got first (I’m looking at you Harry Potter).

No comments:

Post a Comment